Union Contracts Approved
The USF Board of Trustees approves four union employment contracts Thursday morning.
TAMPA, Fla. (Oct. 7, 2010) - The University of South Florida Board of Trustees Thursday approved four union employment contracts affecting faculty, campus police, staff and graduate students. Members of the four unions had previously ratified changes to their respective contracts during collective bargaining sessions with the Board of Trustees bargaining unit.
The four unions affected are the USF chapter of the United Faculty of Florida (UFF), the USF chapter of the Police Benevolent Association (PBA), the USF chapter of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), and the USF Graduate Assistants Union (GAU).
The United Faculty of Florida (UFF) reached a three-year agreement that called for a 1.5% salary increase for 2010/2011 and a 2.0% salary increase for 2011/2012 based on merit, derived from performance evaluations. Other key points of this agreement include:
· The university has a 1% discretionary authority to further enhance salary pending available funds.
· Summer compensation was set at 12.5% of the faculty member’s 9-month salary for a 3-credit course, with a cap per 3-hour course of $12,500.
· Enhanced salary adjustments for promotions was set at 9% plus $3,000 for promotions to Assistant Professor/Assistant Librarians, $5,000 to Associate Professor/Associate Librarians and $7,000 for Full Professor/University Librarians.
· Full implementation of the new Instructor career track provides a 6% salary increase for promotions to Instructor II or Instructor III.
· The university has the authority to provide compensation for additional duties, to make verified counteroffers and to pay faculty designated for awards and honors.
· Increased full-pay one-semester sabbatical opportunities.
The USF chapter of the Police Benevolent Association (PBA) reached a three-year agreement for a base salary adjustment based on performance for a 2.0, 2.75 or 3.25% increase.
The USF chapter of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) reached and a one-year agreement for an increase to wages based on performance of either $250 or $400. They will also receive a market adjustment increase of 1.5%.
The USF Graduate Assistants Union (GAU) reached an agreement for the university to pay for an increased health insurance premium of $1,000 for a .25 FTE appointment or $1,600 for a .50 FTE appointment.
All members of the bargaining teams involved in these approved agreements were thanked publicly at the Board of Trustees meeting and commended for their dedication and hard work.
John Ramil, chair of the USF Board of Trustees, said, “I want to thank John Dickinson, USF Chief Negotiator, personally and on behalf of the Board of Trustees for his expertise throughout this process. To get this accomplished is amazing.”
Ramil concluded his remarks by stating, “USF made history today. This is the first time all of these agreements have come together for approval. Now let’s get to the business of educating students.”
- Media Contact: Lara Wade, 813-974-9060.