USF Joins "Walk to the Moon" Challenge
This is no moonlight stroll, but a seven-week contest to log enough walking miles to get to the moon.
TAMPA, Fla. (April 2, 2012) – You walk across campus to class or up three flights of stairs to get to your office. You swim a few laps after work; maybe take a bike ride on the weekends. You vacuum the house, if you really have to, that is.
All that activity adds up to one big step for you and good health for your community. And now, a fun new competition might just get you and the USF team to the moon.
USF is joining One Bay’s Walk to the Moon Challenge, April 4 through May 23, to see if a little friendly competition will ignite enthusiasm for a healthier lifestyle. Collectively, the eight counties of Tampa Bay region will attempt to walk the 238,857 miles to the moon. There is no fee to participate, but plenty of good prizes to be had by those who log their activity into the American Heart Association’s activity tracker site.
During the seven weeks of the competition, participants can log their walks or other physical activity. Everybody who registers will earn a 10-day YMCA guest pass, with other prizes to follow based on activity entries. Top prizes include gift certificates for dinners at some of the area’s top restaurants, gift certificates for golf in Westchase and vacations at local resorts. More information on prizes and the event can be found at Healthy Tampa Bay.
Register anytime at the American Heart Association’s Start Walking Now website.
- Click Register (orange tab).
- Fill in required fields (Name, email, etc.).
- For Company Name, click link “search for Company Name.” Input ONE BAY for company name. A box will appear. Type “One Bay” and select “One Bay Walk Challenge.”
- For department/team field, enter USF Tampa. The name must be exact.
- Create a password.
- Enter your health information. Please note that this info will remain confidential. It is simply used for accurate calculations for physical activities conversions.
- In order to win the prizes, it is important that you select the first box under “Preferences.” No one will see your info, but if you do not select this box, your miles will not be credited to you as an individual and you will not be eligible for the One Bay’s Walk to the Moon Challenge prizes.
- Click “Submit.”
- You will receive an email with a guide to using your tracking tool.
To receive prize updates, Like us on Facebook:
And follow us on Twitter: