Transcript Judy Genshaft Legislative Thank You Message
Hello, I’m Judy Genshaft, President of the University of South Florida System.
On behalf of the students, faculty and staff, I’d like to express our sincerest gratitude to the Florida Legislature and Governor Rick Scott for their support for the USF System in the new state budget.
We recognize the challenges facing Florida and the hard work that must be done to balance competing needs for funding.
That’s why we greatly appreciate the widespread support for initiatives that enhance and elevate our students’ academic experiences and build a strong foundation for the Tampa Bay Region’s economic future.
We are thrilled that the budget for the upcoming state fiscal year will provide:
· The funds necessary to complete the construction of the new Kate Tiedemann College of Business facility at USF St. Petersburg.
· Sufficient funding to move forward with a bold new plan to construct a new USF Health Morsani College of Medicine and Heart Institute facility in downtown Tampa.
· Millions in new performance-based funding based on USF’s #2 ranking statewide in the Board of Governors’ metrics, which will support enhanced academic programs and student career preparation services across the USF System.
· Additional funding to support the new Florida Center for Cybersecurity, a shared academic, research and innovation center for Florida's universities, government, defense and industry, which is housed at USF.
· And a host of other funding priorities across the USF System.
Each of these projects fulfills the USF System’s strategic goals of delivering a world-class education and ensuring student success; conducting cutting edge research; creating and patenting new technologies; improving health care and quality of life; and fueling economic development.
We commit to use these funds to provide Floridians with a great return on their investment. Did you know that USF was recently ranked as #1 in Florida #10th in the nation – for U.S. Patents awarded, making us a global leader in innovation.
We know that an investment in USF’s students and faculty is one that pays tremendous dividends, and we cannot thank our local Tampa Bay Legislative Delegation, the Board of Governors and Governor Scott enough for their efforts this year on behalf of the USF System.
The future of Florida is ours to shape for the better. Students, faculty, researchers and innovators are working hard to elevate our communities.
Thank you to everyone who is working alongside us to make the future better and brighter for all.