USF Tampa Library Now Offers Self-Service Check-Out With "Check-a-Bull"
TAMPA, Fla. (Aug. 27, 2008) – University of South Florida students are saying goodbye to long checkout lines at the USF Tampa Library with Check-a-Bull. This self check-out system now allows those with valid IDs or library cards to scan their own books and VHS tapes for checkout. All it takes is a swipe of the card and following simple instructions on the screen.
The USF Tampa Library also hosts what constitutes the Learning Commons with the following services:
• Faculty and peer tutoring in a wide range of subjects
• The USF Writing Center, available to all members of the USF community
• College Level Academic Skills Testing (CLAST) tutoring
• Workshops on general study skills
• A self-directed math computer lab designed to support specific courses
• A reference and research help desk
• The Information Technology (formerly Academic Computing) help desk for help with software, Blackboard, and more
• Access to e-mail, printing, and media resources such as CDs and DVDs
• Flexible areas for group work or solo study
"We provide the resources and services that can help students thrive and excel in college," said Eileen Thornton, assistant director of communications, USF Libraries. "There’s no need to suffer in silence with an able team ready and willing to help."
For more information, visit http://www.lib.usf.edu/ or call (813) 974-5004.
The University of South Florida is among the nation's top 63 public research universities and one of 39 community-engaged public universities as designated by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. It is one of Florida's top three research universities. USF was awarded more than $300 million in research contracts and grants last year. The university offers 219 degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, specialist and doctoral levels, including the doctor of medicine. The university has a $1.8 billion annual budget, an annual economic impact of $3.2 billion, and serves more than 45,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Sarasota-Manatee and Lakeland. USF is a member of the Big East Athletic Conference.
– USF –